Sunday, November 14, 2010

2nd in Table Topics

There is a saying that goes: "A prophet is often not recognized in his land"


I think this is true. TM Reina beat me in the recently concluded Table Topics Club Level Contest. To make it worse, my moles said that I won over TM Ruben by barely one (1) point. Gee, is that how bad my performance was? What hurts the most was for my always supportive wife to declare "Your answer was far too off".

Arggg…. That nailed it. I don't have my touch anymore.

The question

As technology increases, our capacity to experience life to fullest diminishes.

Whoever coined this question must have gas spasm and diarrhea. I hate you TM Willy. Hehehehhee. Seriously, the question was indeed challenging and thought provoking. I didn't know how the contestants answered the question because I was the last speaker. What I was more interested was to learn how TM Reina and TM Ruben answered the question. Bitter! weehehe…

My answer

Anyway, I attacked the question using my signature chronological + contrast and comparison technique. I started with Alexander-the-great complaining that he is running out of "worlds" to conquer and fears that he may not experience life's full potential. I jump to Roman Empire when emperors declared Pax Romana with a subtle message that they achieve life potential in the absence of war. Lastly I cited the British Golden Era when the great minds of the time declared that human civilization reached its peak because they discovered everything there is in the world.

I made a contrast and comparison that the definition of "experiencing life to the fullest" varies from one era or civilization to another. What was defined before as "life to the fullest may not be applicable in today's setting"! Travelling across great seas was the "ultimate experience" in the Victorian era. That is just a day's experience in today's standard. To experience playing basketball with the pro would be an "experience" 10 years ago. Today, you can do that over Playstation or Nintendo WII player.

Summing it up, I discuss that: technology therefore does not diminish our capacity to experience life to the fullest. It changes the context, the level, and the definition of experiencing life to the fullest.

I parting, I challenge the audience with the following lines: I have live my life to the fullest according the definition of my era – the 80s. I would not expect and will certainly not force my son and daughter to go walk the path that I took because I know they will have their own definition of what is life to the fullest. The challenge therefore is… are you aware of their needs. Are you sensitive enough to understand that our ways is not the ways of the new generation? Can you accept that we are already outdated?

You got it?

See… I didn't mess up with my answer. Perhaps, they are just too naïve to understand my awesomeness! Wahahahhaa… bitter! Weeeee



No comments: