I was browsing for good articles in the online news in the Philstar when I run across very interesting news from the Visayas. I thought, I read it wrong but a second look confirms that ... majority of the local government officials in Visayas are contemplating of creating a Republic of Visayas. Well, the way the papers reported, it is no longer in theory but work is already in progress to create a general framework for a new government.
Huh! I pause for a moment and look at the ceiling, thinking… what will happen to my beloved Philippines should this happen?
Yeah, I read the rest of the news and the reporter was articulating that the premise of this move is if Gloria is ousted through extra-constitutional means. Blah... blah... blah… what ever
That was morning!
Later after lunch, I went back online and browse more articles related to federalism, separate republics, and etc. I was shock to realize that the move for a Visayas Republic is not an isolated issue but rather a growing feeling of disappointment of what they call “breaking away from Imperial Manila”.
An opinion writer revealed that Chavit Singson had floated the idea of creating a separate state in the north and would call it Ilokoslovakia. What a nice name, indeed, hehehe. Well, the strong man in Mindanao – Davao Mayor Duterte - was way ahead of them and had promised (take note promised!) to “move” the people of Mindanao to create a separate republic. And what else? A possibility of a Bicolandia is certain.
Sus, what would I call myself then? No longer a Pinoy for sure, but what? Hmmm… I will have many choices though: my mother was hailed from Ilokos, my father from Batangas, and I was born in Davao. Tsk.. tsk.. tsk.. I cannot wait to see that day happen. Hehehe.
Evening!
Seriously, I am saddened with what is happening in my country. Few years back, my colleagues at work were asking about my nationality of which I was very proud to say “I am a Filipino”. I don’t know now, if I can still say the same words with pride.
Worst, I am afraid that one of these days I may say “I am a Mindanaoan”
No comments:
Post a Comment