Monday, May 29, 2006

Should I bite?

I got a call from a head hunter today.

For the past two months, I been receiving call from head hunters trying to convince me to move to another company with offers of better package and better security of tenure but I turn down all of them. I am still okay with my current employer - Computer Associates, my work is challenging and exciting, my salary is just enough (with little undeclared extra hehehe), and my colleagues are very supportive. So in short I am happy with the status quo. I thought, few hundred bucks may not worth if it sacrifices the working evironment.

But this call is different.

The offer was a staggering $1800 higher than my current pay! Plus a standard vacation leave package, medical package, performance bonus, and travel allowance. Then they are willing to sponsor for my PR application and more importantly, they are offering a permanent position which means a good security of tenure.

Shock I am, I admit... I half heartedly agreed to go for a final interview which I easily pass with flying colors. The interviewer - the department head - even explored on the idea of putting me on the management team. At the end of the day, the head hunter (her name was Sippy) literally hunted me to sign a contract with them and so I would resign on my job immediately.

But... I didn't bite the offer.

As mentioned awhile ago, I would rather lose few hundred (or thousand) if my new job sacrifices the work environment that I am enjoying now. Realizing that I will be losing a large amount of money, I made a deal with my boss for an increase. After they knew of my offer, they made a counter offer almost matching the pay package (less 300) but without the other extra packages. The only condition they set is for me to get my PR first.

And.. I decided to stay.

That was a difficult decision but whatever happens in the future, I know I made a good decision. And I shall not regret it!!!

Should I?

No comments: