Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Papyrus deal

An hour and half of camel ride made my legs numb. It took me awhile to fully recover my composure and made a straight walk. I believe, the horse back was far more comfortable. Just look at my colleague. He didn't experience any numbness on his feet.

While waiting for the taxi, the tour guide invited us to a nearby Papyrus Museum. The owners (and the guide) were very accomodating and even offered us free drinks. He then showed us his vast collection of papyrus paintings, papyrus hieroglyps, and papyrus artworks of varying sizes and colors.

There were all beautiful but I was taken aback when I saw the tag prices ranging from 300 pounds for the A4 size papyrus to as high as 3000 pound for the A1 size papyrus. I guess the guide saw our expressions, that he wisphered to us saying he will ask for special price and discount. Few minutes later, he came back and boasted that he manage to negotiate a 60% discount for every A3 size painting plus he will give us a free A4 painting for free. Now the prize is set 500 pounds - more of less a 100US$.

The deal sounds fantastic, but deep in my mind, I have doubts with the sincerity of the dealer. Call it hunch, but I could sense that he was taking advantage of us - big time! Yet, I still gave in.

You know why? My colleage took the bait and I followed suit. Hah! I know, this was a mistake but I just close my eyes and think that this is better than being robbed or mugged on the streets.

As consolation perhaps, the guide lead us to the gates of the pyramids. Indeed it was close. The guards, however, informed us that they will open at 7:30 pm for the light & sound show.

No comments: