Sunday, October 22, 2006

macro

I know that you've seen hundreds of pictures of butterflies, grasshoppers, or dragonflies. You've seen it in posters, calenders and even greeting cards. But have ever tried taking pictures of these little creatures?

That is my friend, is called macro photography.

Honestly, I have never done any serious macro photography before. And the closest that i've got was taking close up pictures of orchid flowers using my ole' and ever reliable Olympus C730UZ. That was not real macro photography, though, not even close to "good" close up photography. So consider me zero in this field.

Well, I am not alone. Most of the photonski gang may be good with Portrait, Events and Fashion photography but you can only count with one hand the members who are true blue macro photographers. Infact, there are only three whom I know: the original Edcel who has moved to Australia, Rey - the current master, and Leo - the talended padawan (already a master). In the current active members, I only knew one who is serious with this field and that is Blenda.

You may ask, why is it that there so few who are into Macro? I don't know!!! Come to think Rey's gallery has the second highest hit at all time in the photonski website. That might be fantastic, isn't it? Well, see for yourself and be amazed. Visit the photonski website and search for Stingrey or butterflies. Be mesmerized.

Today, we got a chance to participate on one of the outreach activities of photonski. We called it Photonski Clinic: Macro Photography with Rey and Leo. Our location: Singapore Botanic Gardens and we have to meet at 7:30am. I was late. I came at around 8:30 because I didn't wake up early. Eh kase, napuyat kagabi at Insomia with the other Photonski members. I may have missed the lectures but didn't worry because during the actual hands-on shooting, Leo was on my side and demonstrate to us how to do it correctly. He also gave us valuable tips and techniques that he learned from years of experience. Frankly speaking, 70% of my shots were guided or set by Leo. If I have to do it alone, I could never get any descent shot.

Oh, time pass by so quick. We didn't realized that it was high noon and the sun was already burning our skin, because we enjoy the actual hands-on very much. We wrapped up for few minutes and then called it a day.

My take? hehehe.... here's a sample. I called it "Putol" - a picture of a one-legged-hopper who is laying eggs. More pics are found in my website:

http://www.photonski.com/sons_of_jorge/Macro

Macro01_1


No comments: