Sunday, January 27, 2008

ksa driver's license


I got my first driver's license more than 10 years ago in the Philippines. That license landed on my hand because I traded a Ninoy Aquino (500 peso bill) in exchange for the plastic card. I was never proud having that license because I didn't earned it. I didn't have the required skill to drive a car and it took me years to master the skill of defensive driving in Manila.

This morning, I went to Dallah Driving School to apply for a driver's license. Armed with a "endorsement" letter from my boss, I look for certain guy named Hamed and asked him to facilitate my papers. The guy simply look on the signature on the paper, the started compiling forms. After asking me 5 sets of photos, he instructed me to proceed to the nearby clinic for my blood test. Thirty minutes later, I went back to him. He accompanied me to the driving instructor to verify my driving proficiency level.

The test was just a simply starting & stopping of the engine, and a simple back driving (backing). Of course, I easily pass the test.

An hour later, Hamed came back and brought me to the another Hall. There, I listened to the lecture regarding Traffic Rule & Regulation in the Kingdom. We were all asked to take the computerized exam afterwards - which I easily pass.

At 11:00am, I was already waiting for the Police Officer who will conduct my final driving test. I have in my hands a folder containing all my papers and exam result.

I expected a though final drive test. Last week, I prepared for uphill car start & the dreaded test parallel parking with only 18-inch clearance, but to my dismay all of this never come up in the final test. The police officer only listened to the engine during start up, and check my positions when I performed a backing. After that, he signed my papers and told me I passed.

I got my driver's license in a plastic card after three and half hour!

That was fast, everyone says, but I know I pulled if off because of the "endorsement" letter from my boss - who happens to be a top guy in the Interior. Hehehe... it's nice to know the right connection. Right?


No comments: