Wednesday, January 30, 2008

what defines a man

A friend told me, this morning, that I am a strong person.


Upon hearing those words, I simply burst unto laughter and then asked why she said so? She offered no explanation but tried to explain her conclusion based on what she "perceived" was true. Being a good friend, I bluntly told her that I am not what she thinks I am. Honestly, I said, I am just but a child wearing an armour who is waging battles in a war called life.

She was not convinced, of course, so I shared her my story about my high school days.

It was in my last year in High School when I run to a big predicament of finding a partner for our Seniors Prom night. I already approached one lady (whom I adored as my Aphrodite) but was rejected on the simply grounds that I was not "cute" enough to merit as her consort. That rejection was hard for me. I took it seriously and cried with a wounded heart. When I reached home, I saw my mother in the kitchen and with conviction, I stood besides her then uttered "Mama, why did you choose Papa? Hindi ka na naawa sa akin? I look like him!".

I was already late when I realize that I made a terrible bubo of myself. As my senses returned, I was gripping with shame and fear was all over me... thinking my father would surely punish me for insulting my mother and degrading my family name. But my fear was unfounded, though. When my father arrived, he held me in his arms and explained: "My son, the measure of a real man is defined not by his riches nor his achievements and certainly not his looks". "A real man is that person who has a large heart to understand what is right and what is wrong, and stand for it".

That was not actually helpful that time because my problem was to find a Seniors Prom partner - which he eventually found a solution. However, those words was etched in my mind and heart that until now, I still adhere to it.

I am as strong person? Nah... maybe, you can think that way, but I am not. All I have is an armor and my Creator who never fails to give energy to this shield that I am wearing.


No comments: