Saturday, August 14, 2010

Basic Manual.. take 2

My initial thought of repeating the Toastmasters Basic Manual was somewhere between ridiculous and laborious. If most Toastmasters takes at least 1 year to complete the basic manual - just like me, then why would I want to repeat the task? Well... frankly, I don't know!

Mon Austria started delivering speeches from the basic manual since June. At first I didn't get the gist of why he was doing that. Then lately I thought, this could be my chance to further refine my speaking skills and put color to what was a lackluster performance during my first time. So why not do it again!

Well, that is exactly what I did.

I delivered my Project #1 The Ice Breaker at the inaugural meeting of the Filcom-IT Toastmasters Club this afternoon. My audience were mostly neophytes in Toastmasters and they all paid me a handsome round of applause. Just short of standing ovation, hehehe!

Honestly, I did not prepare for that speech. I just winged it. All I did was talked like what I do in Table Topics and then expanded two main points: poverty and triumph. I was confident that I could deliver a good performance because the objective was very simple - to start speaking.

Hmm... I think, I have to do better next speech.




No comments: