Sunday, February 13, 2011

Palm Crest JS Prom speech

Few days ago, tito Noel hinted the Palm Crest may invite me as judge and mommy Pinky as the guest speaker for their annual JS Promenade. He asked my permission if he can give my number to Tito Russell Malveda, which I readily agreed. Indeed a day later, Tito Russell formally invited me and mommy to their JS prom as judge and guest speaker, respectively.

You could guess happened next: mommy was frantic. She was angry with me why I accepted the invitation... and she started thinking of alibi on how to retract and decline the invitation. I was not affected though. This is just the typical mommy who always doubtful of her beauty and skill. She started to calm down when I promised to help her write the JS Prom speech. I know mommy trust my ability to create a good speech that is appropriate for the occasion.

Well, here I am now writing mommy's speech. The choice of words were mine, the structure and the transition. But the overall tone and content? It was all mommy's idea.

Here's the first draft of the speech:

Salutation

Palm Crest Board of Directors Mr & Ms Danny Lopez, Mr & Ms Russell Malveda, School Administrator Dr. Dominador Mangusad, School Principal Dr. Araceli Cabral, Academic Chairman Jacquiline Dela Cruz, School officials, our beloved teachers, and most especially to you the Junior and Senior students of Palm Crest International school… good evening!

Class Reminiscing

Twenty five years ago, I can still vividly remember my own JS Prom. Like any girl in our class, we all dream of wearing beautiful gown, walk with poise during the presentation, and to make that evening a night to remember. Indeed, it was a very memorable night for me, but not the way I wished it would be… only better!

What you see right now is the anti-thesis of my high school self. Before, I love to wear loose shirt and jeans, put on my favorite black sneakers, and carry with me my denim backpack. Safe to say, I was more of a boyish type than your typical cutie girl next door. Imagine how my classmates went into euphoria, when for the first time they saw me wearing a ladies’ gown. It was transformation beyond imagination, they say. And I believe it was!

Before the prom started, I intensely prayed that my partner would be my childhood crush - the school varsity and the hunk of the class. But lady luck did not smile at me. When I saw my escort, I almost fainted because it was not a dashing prince charming but a skinny and lanky lizard. Gee… my partner looks like he just woke up from a coffin.

But as the night goes by, I was surprise to found out that my lizard escort was a gentleman, he was funny and talented – he gave us an awe full version of Michael Jackson’s Thriller, and more importantly he delivered an inspirational speech that was full of wisdom. Needless to say, I was totally bewitched by the lanky lizard.

My JS prom story was simple but the lessons I gathered from it had a profound effect to my life and to my circle of friends. And that is what I wanted to share to you tonight.

{{ take a long pause while looking and smiling to the audience}}

Challenge for the Juniors

To all Juniors… (let me see the hands of the Juniors?)... please allow me to greet you “congratulations and welcome to the teenage and young adult life”. Tonight is your right of passage! You shall no longer be called girls but ladies, likewise to the male, you should no longer be called boys but instead gentlemen. You will soon take the first steps of how to manage yourself, on how to be a leader among your peers, and how to become inspirations to the younger generation in your school.

Collectively as a class, ahead of you is the responsibility to maintain, if not surpass, the level of achievements that the Seniors had achieved in the past years. In your own unique way, find your specialty and strength, and then make your school proud. Be competitive, be excellent, but keep your feet in the ground – be humble all the time. Next year, you have to take the shoes of the Seniors. You need to stand as the big brothers and big sisters of the Palm Crest International Schools. Be the model of discipline and be the face of what it is to be a real PCISian so that the young boys and girls of the school will wholeheartedly emulate you.

On a personal level, Juniors, this is your time to shine and be seen. Get out from the closet of insecurities; break free from the cocoon of doubts; take the bold step of knowing who you really are, and then explore of your own uniqueness.

I took my challenge twenty five years ago, and found myself as the Lady Pinky and not the boyish Pinky.

Once again, Juniors, welcome to the world of teenagers and young adults.

The marching Seniors

To the graduating class, our Seniors (let me see your hands please), congratulations and welcome to the real world. In just few weeks, you will be leaving the comfort and warm embrace of your alma mater – the Palm Crest International School. As you turn-over the helm of leadership to the Juniors, be proud of what you have achieved. I am sure that this year, you made your school proud.

You will soon walk the path that all of us – adults – had taken. A path that may defined your our own destinies and may shaped your our fates. Some of you may already know what course to take: Engineering, Medicine, Teaching, or you may choose to stay and help the family. Perhaps some of you are still doubtful. That is alright. Take your time, consider all your options and be certain of what path to take. Remember, there is no reset button in life: there are no exams and no grades … your decision will define who you will be in the future.

Tonight, I want you to look around and remember your teachers and peers. These are the people who help mold who you are today. Remember your teachers: they made sure that you have the right skills and knowledge to prepare for the next chapter of your life. Remember your peers: these are your buddies, your friends, and your partner in crime (just kidding). They are the memories of your high school life.

Pick a choice, make a decision and excel on that field.

Closing

Twenty five years ago, I made my choice. And I am happy to say that now, I am a successful educator… just like the way I wanted to be. My journey, by the way, was not easy. I have more downs than up, but it didn’t matter. What was more important was the learning experience every time I get up from a fall.

Oh by the way, you may ask: what happened to my skinny lizard escort? I can see you are giggling… you are curious, aren’t you?

I still get in touch with him. He became a successful family man and the last time I checked, he is no longer skinny but has big tummy. He is still a reptilian though, not a lizard but a big crocodile. This crocodile is no other than my beloved husband and partner in life.

Good luck to all of you. Be a successful PCISian.


No comments: