Ever since I started to pick up a camera, there are two subjects that I have long wanted to shoot: lightning and fireworks. When I earned my first film camera, the Kodak KB10, my first subject was thunderstorm and lightning. I remember, I have to climb to the rooftop of the Engineering Bldg at Xavier University just to catch a good view of a lightning strikes. I could finish a roll of 36-shots film shooting nothing but lightnings. And if not of the prohibitive cost of film development and printing, surely I would easily consume two rolls of film. But for a struggler like me, every cent counts. Hence, when I pursued my graduate studies, I shelved my love for photography and said goodbye to my camera.
Huh! nostalgia. Nag e-emote na naman ako. tsk tsk tsk
Now that I am back with a digital camera, the opportunity to shoot in a fireworks festival was simply overwhelming. Com'on, please understand my over enthusiasm. You see, I never had a chance to do it 15 years ago with my film camera because we were not that fortunate in Cagayan de Oro to see one. Kwitis siguro, pwede pa but fireworks display? nah, in our dreams na lang perhaps. And now, Singapore not only have one fireworks at the Marina bay, but four different kinds fireworks displays and will be spread all over the week (not counting the NDP fireworks at Kallang). That's why the photonski team were in full gear and I had been receiving tons of emails in the discussion thread. Aba, hindi ako patalo noh. I bought a cable release, even if I don't know how to use it. hehehe. Eh kase, they said I would need it to properly control the camera trigger on bulb mode. Engot naman, bumili.
The first show was Team Italy held last Saturday at 9:00pm. 
It was a good show, they said, but I failed to capture any outstanding photo because I choosed the wrong side of the Bay.
All the while I thought the fireworks would start at the middle of the Marina Bay, so I choose a spot where I could see the Fullerton as my background. But when the explosion started on my left flank, I just realized that I was screwed up. There was a large barge right in front of us and all we could see was the exploding colors in the air and nothing in the foreground. Five minutes had elapsed, I made a quick decision. I changed position to avoid the barge, and... was a able to salvage few "nice" shoots - though not acceptable for a professional. Here's one with the barge in the foreground and the moon on the upper left frame.
Buti na lang nakabawi ako last Tuesday with Team Singapore. 
I did managed to squeeze in between the bushes at the Splanade bridge, hence my picture had better composition and had better framing. And yes, the moon added an accent to the view. Overall, I got plenty of good shoots. Just don't ask how itchy it feels, afterwards. Well, I was not alone with the predicament. There were a few dozen photographers too along the bushes and my photo buddy Arjie was just one of them. :D Just like the old saying goes, you're never be a true blue photographer unless you learn how to crawl, climb, and in this case - "be one with the bushes". hehehe
Knowing that the Splanade bridge would be the best spot, 
I came back as early as 6pm last Friday for the Team New Caledonia. That's would be three hours early you would think but I tell you, I almost couldn't get a place had I not move the trash bin. My buddy Arjie didn't make the cut and had to settle with the bushes again. hehehe... only this time he got a cleaner and wider area - no more itchy feeling. After three hours of seemingly endless waiting time, the fireworks fired with its full splendor. It was far better and bigger than the last two teams. What made the fireworks display outstanding was not the explosion and the exploding colors, but the rhythm of the sounds, lights and explosions. I admit, that was the best fireworks display that i've ever seen. korni ko!
And here comes Saturday's show, the Team France. 
This team was touted to be the best considering they were the presentor of last year's National Day Parade fireworks. If yesterday's show was spectacular, I was expecting this one will be better. And for our shooting place? hmm... I wanted to go back to the bridge but I decided otherwise. I thought, I already have too many shoot at the same spot and I believe finding another place would be the right thing. So, I went to the extreme end of Splanade bayview, far away from the ECP bridge. The view was not that good compared to our spot yesterday but it offers a different angle. Well, my pictures were not that bad at all. I was all good.
You might want to see more high quality jpeg photos... try to visit in my photo website at
http://www.photonski.com/sons_of_jorge/FireworksFest
No comments:
Post a Comment