Ever wonder that number stands for?
That's the longest commercial lens that any photographer can buy. And if you can afford the staggering price of over US$90k,
you have to wait at least 2 months before the item will be
delivered at your doorstep. Now, assuming you have the lens. You don't carry it with your camera and dongle it on your neck. That would be dangerous. A 16.5kgs lens may break your neck. The lens comes with a heavy duty tripod to support it weight and to preclude shake. Image Stabilizer (IS) is not yet available for this lens, and I doubt if it ever will.
In reality, there are only around a dozen of it in existence and mostly found in the US & Europe. Sports Illustrated got two and the billionare founder of Oakley has at least one, and of course the Canon Professional Services which they used for promotions. For some big time paparazzi, this is the ideal lens for stalking high profile celebrities.
There only two known in existence in Asia. And now, for the launching of 400D in Singapore, Canon showcase this extreme lens. The good thing is... the public can take a hands-on test and experience the power of the 1200mm lens.
Well, it's obvious that I was one of those who got lucky to hold it.
But I barely enjoyed testing it. I only have a minute and I don't have any subject that I can shoot. What can you shoot inside the booth? Nah.. nothing really. So what I did? I turn around the lens and position it to the street. I took a picture of some pedestrians who were over 500 meters away. Gee... I was amazed how far the lens can "see". If I attached a 2x extension tube, whoah, I could take a portrait of a person that is 1 km away.
Here's a sample of my test shots.
Oh take note... the people were very far from me such that my naked eye can't clearly see their face. Imagine extending your hand and comparing your finger nails with the size of their head - the nails are much bigger.
If I have US$90k... I will not buy this lens. hehehehe...
No comments:
Post a Comment