Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Getting in touch with old friends

Okay, as promised I'll continue what I have started yesterday - write about my old friends in the dance troupe.

I was quite hesitant to make a call. It has been over fifteen years since I made last contact with any of my friends and I don't know how they would react. I fear that they have branded me as "lahi na" (has changed) for failing to make a visit since 1991. I also snubbed the invitations to attend in the yearly alumni homecoming, and that's bad I know. Among my friends, it was only Dhafnie whom I am sure I made a call at least once a year. All the rest of the Dance Troupe Members were already off in my communication network. Gee, most of them... I have seen since 1985.

Anyway ... I did managed to make a call. First attempt: calling Jovy - failed. She didn't answer after 5 attempts. Hmm.. maybe her phone was just defective. Second attempt: Restie - out of reach. Huh, I am beginning to suspect they were avoiding me.. tsk tsk tsk. Third attempt: Emily - a ring! Hehehe... finally I was successful.

Emily was very surprised, of course, and could not believe I called up. We did have a very long talk - one hour at least - reminiscing our ole happy days. We echanged news about our accomplishments, frustrations and successes in life, and talk about what our friends had become. I learned that Restie got married with at least 3 kids, Jovy with 5 kids on two marriages, Ellen got married with an old Ang Mo (white guy) and moved to the US, Phoebe & Elena became spinsters, Ramil got married and moved out of the city, Leo is still in the city but separated and currently living with a common law wife.

Looks like the stories of our friends are not that encouraging. But wait. Let talk about two more. Mark, the heartrob, is still with Notre Dame as a faculty for high school... and is widely rumoured of having an affair with a Marist Brother (ugh!). And lastly the shocker? Our best dancer - the handsome Henry, has finally come out of the closet. During their last get-together, he declared that (s)he's a Queen and not a Prince Charming! What a revelation, don't you think?

Life is full of surprises, indeed.

Emily on the other hand hit the better end. She finished here Masters, got married to a teacher (who's currently working for an Ed. D), she lives in the city but works in a neighboring town 16 km away, commutes everyday just to be with her family all the time, and now she's contemplating of leaving her job due to frustration in the government bureaucracy. Her greatest hang up, she confide, was her failure to have her own child. They have opted to adopt, though.

Sad...

I didn't share much of my accomplishment. I know that they would not see my failures and frustration but would just be fascinated on the illusion that I am successful because I am working abroad. They all thought that I made it because I've traveled places, seen the world, and got a good job. Whew, if only they knew...

No comments: