Saturday, April 14, 2007

u unerstan englis lah?

During my elementary years at Notre Dame of Kidapawan boys, our school strictly enforces "Speak English Only" policy to all pupils and students in the entire campus. Speaking in Filipino (which was Tagalog actually) was prohibited and speaking in our vernacular Bisayan would certainly raise eyebrows and could lead you to the receiving end of ridicules. Our Caucasian Marist Brothers were known as disciplinarian and strict enforcer of straight correct English. And the equally watchful eyes of Pinoy faculty made our life difficult.

Think, how would a promdi student - who never had prior background with English - ever had a batting chance to wage a war of English words in that "oppressive" school? Of course, life was difficult. I still remember the feeling and reminisce the days where I would just stay quiet because I could not speak my thoughts and ideas. But believe me, it didn't dampen my spirit. Instead, I strive hard. Learn English slowly and painfully and sometimes embarrassingly. Twenty years had passed, now I am confident that I could speak correct English fluently and correctly.

And why I am writing about my English? Hehehe.. simply because of this funny incident this morning.

After the doctor gave me a clearance that I can take food starting on lunch, the head nurse - an old local Singaporean - came to me and ask what food do I want. I actually knew first hand what the nurse would ask. However, the way she speak the words to me was quite amusing.

"So can eat lah? wayuwant, meh?, the nurse said.

I stare at the nurse and was smiling. She return the stare at me, and was wondering too.

"Vege an rice? forridge you want?


No comments: