Sunday, November 18, 2007

A night in the Farm

For the adventurous Pinoys, one way of coping up with boredom is to take field trip to various farms in the kingdom. You may ask, "Do vegetables grow in the desert"? Yes, they do. Just over a hundred kilometers from the city, farms - as they call it - sprout like mushrooms. Thanks to the billions of dollars that the government poured into advance technology and research. It made wonders and transformed the desert land into a paradise of lush edible greenery and forest of fruit trees. I do not know how they did it. But as long as I got the assurance that the food is safe to eat and has no side effects, I'll devour the fresh food in my way. Hah! Fiesta.

That is where we go today. We went to a farm, roughly 120 km from the city, to attend a party organized by our Filipino friends. The place was nice, but I did not the got the chance to enjoy in the orchard because it was dark! Actually, the party starts at 2pm but we miss the chance to tour around because we were late - we arrived at 8pm.

That is all right. Anyway, there is still plenty of food to munch at the kitchen and a karaoke bonanza to enjoy at the reception area. Moreover, the kids have their place too. They were running around playing at the lawn. Dowin and his family stayed in the house. I opted to separate and wander at the perimeter looking for some interesting subject to shoot.

I settled down at the entrance gate.I took a chair and made myself comfortable as I enjoy watching the lights of the Riyadh city from the horizon. Several minutes later, I saw some kids came to my place.They join me watching the planes taking off and landing at the nearby airport. I told them stories and then help them identify the stars. They were noisy and asked lots of questions, but honestly, I actually enjoyed talking to the kids. Their laughter made me feel good and their innocence simply made me ponder on the purity of my heart. Gee... I am a sinner and a warm-blooded animal.

I was still talking to the kids when I heard a voice from my back. As I turn around, I saw a middle-aged woman who came looking for her niece. She then asked what we were doing in this dark place. The kids responded in chorus "we were watching the planes". I smiled (I wonder if she could see it) and assured her that everything is all right. Then I asked the kids to go back to the lawn area. With that cue, the kids start running back to the house and they were all shouting and laughing.Hehehe… kids.

I thought she would also go, but she did not. Instead, she sat down on the bench and starts looking at the sky. She asked why I preferred to separate from the group and… asked some details why I am here in Riyadh. Of course, I gave my standard reply – for the money. Then she keep silent for few minutes. Later, she started to share about her adventures in the kingdom. I learned that she literally spent half of her life here - she arrived in the city at the young age of 21. Started as a DH for 10 years, then moved on as an independent sales clerk at Faisaliah Mall, and lately been working as a personal beautician for a royal princess.Unlike the typical women in Riyadh, she does not stay in an accommodation.She said, she rents a place near Olaya (together with a Pinoy couple) and supports herself in exchange for her freedom from an employer.I was surprise.She is definitely strong and brave.

Frankly, I was not interested with the woman. I did not even ask here name. However, I was sincerely listening to her. I was hoping to pick up some advices and hints on how to survive in the land of my Arab brethrens. Twenty years of experience is a treasure of knowledge and wisdom for anyone to mine.

Two hours later, I asked her to join with the rest of the group. She readily agreed and she walks with me towards the house.When I saw her face clearly under the light, I could help but think; she must be very pretty during her younger age. But nah, I am not interested with middle-aged women. They can be obsessive and fatal. Nakakatakot

We left the farm at around 11pm.

No comments: