Few weeks ago, TM Nestor from Toast of Comsofil gave me a confirmation that they have chosen me as one of the judges for the Area 22 Toastmasters Speech Competition. And the contest is held at the La Sani Restaurant, today.
You may wonder, why I go to the trouble of participating in other Area's activity? Shouldn't I be rehearsing my speech by now? The division contest is just 4 weeks away, and I haven't re-written my script. Huh!
Well, It's no secret that I am vying for the club's Toastmaster of the Year Award. My mentor knows that and our immediate past president too. To bag the award, according to them, I need to get involved in other Toastmasters activities outside of our club. TM Roi is already doing that and he might beat me if I don't do something. That's why I am here today. I took the advice of TM Erick... "join as judge in as many contest possible".
* * * * *
I arrived at the venue 15 minutes early. I saw some familiar faces from Sand Dunes Toastmasters but none from my own club in PRTC. An hour later, many more arrived and the hall was filled with fine looking Toastmasters and guests.
By the looks of its strenght, Area 22 is spearheaded by the Saudico Toastmasters Club. The members are mostly South Asian nationality with few locals and Filipinos. I met the infamous DTM Douglas Keller, the Area Governor, who presided the event as the Contest Chairman. Before the contest proper, we had a short talk about the proposed new club Riyadh International Toastmasters. He invited me, if I am willing, to be a dual member.
* * * * *
Another reason why I am here: I am scouting to check who will be their contestant for the International Speech. My efforts paid off. I've seen how good my competitor will be at the Division Contest. The Area 22 winner was an Indian lady who gave us very strong piece and delivered it in flawless fashion. She heavily used vocal variety to solicit emotional contact with the audience, and she relied on body movements to imply humour. And it all works.
Gee... I really need to rewrite my speech, if I want to win.
No comments:
Post a Comment