Saturday, March 14, 2009

Jnadriyah Festival

Another lousy Friday: uneventful, slow and boring! Hohumm... remind me, why did I move this prison? Money!!!!

Okay, I got it now.

* * * * * *

I finish all my household chores in the morning. I played badminton after lunch, then watch movie at home afterward. I thought, that was enough to let the day go by. But it was not. I was still too booooorrrreeddddd!!!!!

Past 4pm, I decided to go to Jnadriyah to check the much hype Cultural Fest. My friends told me that camera is allowed inside the Fest, hence I concluded that this would be a good photo shoot opportunity. It had been my wish to do street photography and capture interesting subjects such as old Arab men or capture the ordinary activities of Saudi people, but I simply could not do it because of the restrictions in the Kingdom. And a chance like this is rare!

* * * * * *

I did not know where the place is. I just followed the instruction given by DJ, only to be surprise that I had been in the place before. I remember, I got arrested here because I took pictures of the Palace Walls. I don't remember when was that, but it was still vivid that we were on our way to the nearby British Compound. With me was Anthony, Danny and Alvin.

* * * * * *

I did not stay long. I just made our round that took me less than an hour, then I decided to go home.

What happened?

Well, just like the way I anticipated. There was nothing in there. Yeah, there were people - 98% men and the rest children. But women? Nah, forget it. They're forbidden to get inside. They have a special day intended just for them. And on that day, men are not allowed get inside.

That's the life here!

Now, remind me again. Why did I get here in Saudi Arabia? Money!!! and lots and lots of money! Whew!

No comments: