Thursday, March 12, 2009

in the Orange World

12:05pm

I was in deep concentration when I heard panic and shouting outside the office. I ignore at first but when the tea boy peep on my room and warned me of something - he was speaking in Arabic - I rose to my feet and went outside. Only to be surprised... Lo and behold! the world has turned to Orange-Red.

Abdulhadi, whom I saw closing his office, told me that a great Sandstorm has just hit Riyadh and everyone is preparing to leave home. Indeed when I look around, I noticed, everyone was leaving. Not sure on what to do, I followed the crowd and also headed towards the car park.

The air was filled with dry fine powder of orange-red sand. It blot-out the sun and turn the visibility to just under 300 meters. Every vehicle on the road set their hazard blinker on... and surprisingly, everyone was moving at turtle pace of 40 kph. I repeat 40 kilometers per hours, and I think it was even slower. My first time, I admit, of running below 80kph in the highway.

After running for few meters, I saw two car accidents. And less than a kilometer farther; a Yukon, an Armada, an Aveo, a Yaris, and two Camry figured a ramble at the round-about. Lucky, nobody got hurt in the accident and everyone was cool.

Too many accidents? Hah! I was not spared, I tell you. I had a collision with a Suburban at the Military Hospital entrance. Except for few scratches on the front bumper and a deformed bull-guard, my Tucson did not suffer major damage.

* * * * * *

After taking lunch, I decided to go back to the office. I got bored in the house and besides, I have a heap of work files to finish. There will be no one left in the office, I know, but that would be better because I can work faster.


On my way back to the office, I took some pictures (I brought my camera with me) on the road. I didn't take too much pictures, fearing that the dust might damage the camera.

And when I arrived at the office, there was nobody. Everyone has left home.

Few hours later, series of email arrived with pictures of how the sandstorm engulf the city. Gee... I was drooling in envy. The picture may not be of professional quality, but the subject was simply overwhelming. Hah! I was really disappointed. I failed to capture a once in a lifetime event.

Here... I posted a picture that I grabbed from the Internet. Isn't it beautiful?

No comments: