Tuesday, March 3, 2009

why keep rush-writing

Yeah, why I do keep rushing my self when writing speeches? It's not good! First, it deprived me of the time to recollect my memories, internalize, and then conceptualize. Second, I can't review my drafts. And lastly, I lack the much need time to practice.

But then... just like what TM Richard said "When did you ever prepare for your speeches?". "Anyway, you're always good when not prepared!"

Ayahhhh! I have to change.

* * * * * * *

9:06pm

Unlike last week, this time I didn't call Archie. I was ashamed to ask for idea, he might say that I am abusing. Besides, I already set my mind on one particular topic. And all I need to do was write it down.

Writing was the easier part. The hurdle... was on the preparation of the required presentation slides. What was my topic? Well, it's about Research and unless I can support my speech with tangible information, then my project will fail. I don't want that to happen, of course.

I made two drafts.

The 1st one was titled: The Last Man on earth. The storyline of the speech was to wake up and found out that you are the lone man - Y gene - in the planet. It will progress as a series of adventures in the world full of women.

After reading the first draft, I decided to scrap it. The story line was nice, but I had a hard time supporting with tangible facts and information. All the support that I could think of, was either speculations or hearsay.

11:45pm

I started my second draft. This time, the style is not via storyline concept. Instead, I made use of Ask-Inform the Audience approach. I started making an assumption that all men disappeared. Then presented two questions that will be answered in the speech body.

I was not able to finish the draft but I was almost 90% done when I stopped.

No comments: