Friday, February 20, 2009

the edge

3:05pm

My colleagues in Kubo Photography Club were already waiting for me at the Hyper Panda Takassusi. I was late - an hour late - but I was forgiven because I advised them, in advance, that I have some important rush at the office.

Oning, the team leader immediately gave us a briefing on the timing, driving speed, and destination points. The main objective was: we should reach the Huraymilla plateau also known as The Edge of the World before sunset.

The two SUVs went ahead, while I made a U-turn to pick up another model at the Riyadh Military Hospital. I thought, I will just pick her up... but gee... I waited for an hour at the gate. Trying to hide my disappointment, I still smiled and treated her nicely. Hah! If only I am not a gentleman, I really love to spank her in the butt!

I know I lost precious hours so I tried to make up by speeding up more than my average. I was running at 140kph along the Khurais Road and when I entered the Gasim Road, I zoomed to 170kph. That was fast, I know, but I was confident that my SUV Tecla (Hyundai Tucson) will not fail me plus the road is clear, wide and in superb grading.

I was able to catch up with the rest of the pack just few kilometers inside the entrance of the Al Oyaynah rough road. We all stopped for few minutes to shoot the sunset, then moved toward the plateau.

Our timing did not work as planned. Driving at rugged road at pitch black night was treacherous, hence we all agreed to slow down at less than 40kph. It is better be safe than sorry.

Finally, we reached our destination at around 8pm.

No comments: