Wednesday, October 1, 2008

old streets and garbage

I thought, walking along the old Cairo streets was a breeze. I was wrong!

Typical of an old - if not ancient - city, old Cairo is no exception to poor road networks, maze-like access to pathways, poor lighting and horrible garbage problem. And the obnoxious odor of the streets greeted me with fangs, right after I went out of the taxi.

Garbage were everywhere. I could find only a handful of garbage bins, and if there is one it is surely filled three times its capacity. I don't think there is a garbage collector in the city. Garbage in the streets have rotted, a tell tale sign that these were never collected for years.

If you think that this is a niche problem in the suburbs and in the old Cairo, think again. Even the upbeat Downtown Area (modern Cairo) has the same problems. Garbage both new and rotten, litters the streets. Even famous landmarks such as the "6th of October Bridge" were not spared with unmindful disposal of garbage.

Nevertheless, the River Nile was spared. I didn't see any floating garbage during our cruise yesterday.

So, you in Metro Manila. Be thankful that Bayani Fernando is doing his job. And he is doing it par excellence.

No comments: