Wednesday, October 1, 2008

taking an old train

day 4

I was starting to get comfortable staying on a beautiful room in a 5-star hotel. That would be great, but what I was afraid... I might seek for it when I get back to Riyadh. Ugh, that would be another adjustment.

Anyway back to Egypt.

Having spent three exciting days in Cairo, we started packing our thing to moved to Alexandria. As per our itinerary, we will stay there for three days and two nights. And we will be taking train to get there.

Going by train? Howaahh! This would be exciting.

This would be my first time to take a ride on an old train - not a metro train that we used to commute daily in Singapore. This one is different. I am taking a train on the oldest railway system in Africa and the Middle East.

* * * * *

And how did it goes? Well... regretful, really. Sigh!

We went to the Old Cairo district, and we get inside into the old Cairo Train Station. I was expecting some beautiful old achitecture on the place but was readily disappointed to see dirty steel structures with no significant architectural details at all. The ceiling was pitch black because of century old soot and dust, and the foundation made up of poorly maintained concrete-reinforced steel slabs. And the the terminal itself - ugh! It was filty and with obnoxious smell. I almost vomit!

Garbage litters everywhere. New garbage, month-old garbage, rotten garbage, and decomposed garbage... name it, it's everywhere. And the local Egyptians seems not to care at all.

Why did I go to that place, in the first place? I should have taken a plane.

No comments: