Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Qaitbay Citadel

Day 5

The first order of the day: explore the city. I was confident that this would be a great day because I had a good sleep last night. Simply said, I am fully recharged and rearing to go. But... I don't know where. Hehehe... what a tourist I am! Don't know where to go and didn't research prior hand. Good thing, my buddy had a list of must-see places.

* * * * * * *

We hailed a taxi and asked the cabbie to bring us to Qaitbay Citadel. Learning from a bad experience in Cairo, I tried negotiating the taxi fare with the cabbie. The hotel guard informed me that taxi fare starts at 2 Egyptian pounds and then would increase per 100 meters distance. But gee... my colleagues was too eager to get to the place that she immediately set the price at 40 Egyptian pounds. We got robbed again, hah!

Anyway, I just ignore that hiccups and concentrate on the excitement at hand.

* * * * * * *

Qaitbay Citadel is one beautiful castle that looks exactly like a toy castle. Square, plain sides, few windows, and a emposing roof - a classic book definition of a castle. The main castle is surrounded with layers of fortifications and a beautiful lawn.

While roaming around the castle, I overheard a guide explaining the significance of the site. The guide said that this is the exact place of the famous Lighthouse of Alexandria of the Ancient times. Numerous restoration had been carried out until it eventually turned into a military fortress, and now a tourist spot.

Did I enjoy the tour? Definitely, yes! I took over 200 pictures and loittered the entire place for three hours. Tiring but was certainly fulfilling.

No comments: