Monday, October 6, 2008

Khan al-Khalili

Finally, we took our last leg of the tour - the shopping spree.

I would not really consider it as shopping because there was no real shopping center in Cairo. The best they got was a department store with very limited items on display.

They do, however, had a lot of flea markets and hawkers for souvenir items. And Khan al-Khalili is the most famous. The market is situated in the Islamic Cairo area and was once the center of Turkish trading during the Ottoman period. It still retain most of its Turkish architectures and design but relatively the place is rotting. Aside from the small hawkers who crowds the small alleys, there was not much restoration conducted on the place. What a sad sight. Who would think that this was once the center of Turkish Bazaar in the entire northern Africa?

* * * * * * *

I bought some items though. I pick up a dozen of refrigerator magnets, a dozen key chains, and several sets of miniature pyramids and ceramic plates. I'll distribute the key chains as gifts to my friends, but for all the rest of the items... I will keep it as my own souvenir

No comments: