I now appreciate the significance of this place.
Walking furthermore, I got entangled with a bunch of French and Spanish tourist. Clueless of where I was going, I decided
to follow the flock. In my mind, I could take a free orientation of the place by just listening to their tourist guides. The predicament though, the guides speaks in Spanish. Que Horror! hehehehe... Thanks to Spanish 1, 2, 3, & 4 classes way back in College, I still understand conversational Spanish. hahahaha...
I followed them as they entered a narrow and dark entrance leading to an semi-underground worship place. It was dimly lit, stone cold and filled with arid foul smell. I almost dediced to get out of the center until I heard the guide explain the significance of the area. "This is the oldest existing Jewish Synagogue in Egypt - the Ben Ezra Synagogue", the guide exclaimed.
What is Ben Ezra Synagogue, I thought?
Ben Ezra - also known as Geniza Synagogue - according to local tradition, was the site where the baby Moses was found by the Pharaoh's daughter. This place used to be a river swamp filled with reeds, and the favorite hang-out of the Pharaoh's royal families. The lot was purchased by Abraham bin Ezra of Jerusalem in the 9th century and then they built the existing synagogue.
Huh! That was a mouthful, isn't it? Forgive me. I am a history buff, hence I could not contain myself writing too much history in my blogs. hehehe
Back to reality. There I was sitting on a cold marble slab and was looking up on the ceiling wondering how magnificient it is. This place had been buried in the mud for hundred of years, yet it still retains majority of its architectural integrity and design.
With the history fact that Moses was "drawn" here, gee... it leaves me thinking, what it's like during the age of the pharaohs?
No comments:
Post a Comment