The exhibit turns out to be successful. We meet the Philippine Ambassador Belen F. Anota and we discuss the possibility of conducting an exhibit at the Philippine Embassy. We also meet the organizers of the Philippine Independence 2007 celebration all of whom invited us to do similar exhibit this coming June. There were several small organization who want to tie up or sponsor us in exchange of using some of our pictures. These, we all agreed, should be discuss thoroughly and should be cleared with the entire membership.
I was very tired but happy.
On my way home, I received a text message from Francis. He told me that he is leaving the group because Photonski is now moving to a direction that does not adhere to what he believes. I was confused with his words and wants to send a reply but was too tired to do so. I just kept my phone, sit back and take a nap.
Ironically, I saw Francis at the escalator. I called his attention and ask him to stay, but just waived his hand and then he disappeared in the crowd. Minutes later, he send me a text explaining the he was in a hurry.
* * * * * *
Despite of aching body and tired hands, I still managed to download the pictures that I took at the Exhibit. Enthusiasm was overflowing on me and I was too excited to post the pictures in the Photonski forum. My objective was to lift up the spirit of everone and to congratulate the movers for the job well done.
But before I could post the first picture, a lightning bolt strike me.
I saw the email of Francis expressing his analysis of the exhibit and pointed out three main issues:
1. He saw this exhibit was done is subpar to the standards set to him by his fellow members, especially the pioneers in the group
2. The selection of photos should have not been taken for granted
3. Quite a few of the pictures were very ordinary and irrelevant to the theme.. "bagong pinoy".
Honestly, I was very disappointed with the email of Francis. I want to curse him for the nasty analysis or get back and insult him for not "seeing the forest", but prudence told me that I have to be open minded and remain cool. I told myself that I am just tired and I should not react harshly.
I stop downloading the pictures, close my computer and decided to take a rest. But sleep was not catching on me. My mind was trouble and my heart is pounding like a jack hammer. I need to answer the email!
And indeed, I sent a reply to Francis making a defense on the position of the officers and advisers. I politely admitted that I was disheartened with his comment and assured that I saw where his comments comes from. I answered his questions:
1. "Subpar... i'm perplex because I don't know what standard show we follow. Perhaps you could enlighten and give us tips and points where we can start. This way we can improve and correct our mistakes."
2. "How long do we need to prepare for an exhibit? I don't know because I am a newbie and don't have experience. The way I see it, time doesn't matter if you are interested to help!"
I further explained that there were 7 judges and the result were based on weighted average of the entries. I implied that he could have made a difference if he only help during the selection
3. I corrected Francis that we defer the original them upon realizing that there many entries that may not fit.
I emphasizes the value of effort of those who are willing to learn and contribute despite lacking of technical facets on their pictures.
And lastly, I argued that Photonski is NOT an elitist group. Everyone has a place in the group, and we aim to help each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment